Thursday, October 08, 2009

The Smell of Fall

This is so simple and it makes your house smell so good. I learned this from my mother-in-law. I don't know if this is her exact recipe, but it's close anyway and still smells just as good.

On the stove boil a small pot of water with a few cinnamon sticks, a few cloves, and a few(or as many as you want) orange slices. Once it boils turn it down and leave on low and turn it off when ever you want. Just make sure you watch the water level. You'll have to keep adding more as it evaporates. You'll always get a reaction when anyone comes in your home. It smells so good!

I don't know how long you can keep it before it goes bad. I just give it a few days. You'll notice when it's been warmed enough and the contents don't look appealing anymore. Maybe Mary Coleman or someone else out there who does this can comment with an appropriate length of time.

If you do this and add other spices and flavors let us know!

11 month pictures to come... I have to take them first. Didn't realize till 5:30 this morning that I missed the actual 11 month day!

6 comments:

Bo and Katie Kitchen said...

This sounds great, I'm gonna have to try this. One question, do you turn it off at night and can you reheat it the next day?

Susan Wyatt said...

yes... definitely turn it off at night and whenever you're not home.

Bo and Katie Kitchen said...

Thanks, I fiqured as much, but wanted to make sure it could be reheated.

The Fitzgerald's said...

We do this. Only around christmas. mainly because it doesn't get cold until then.

pam said...

My mother taught me this as well. It does smell DIVINE! I use cinnamon, cloves, oranges along with water, and yes you do have to keep it on low and continue to add water as it does evaporate. I use for several days before replacing. For some reason I thought there were other ingredients, but perhaps that is the apple cider recipe.... basically the same with apples and brown sugar, still smells great! Love it for autumn. Blessings, pam

Gran said...

I don't have a recipe. I usually start with water, cinnamon sticks, cloves and orange slices. If you like the smell of something else, just add it. It's not like you are gonna eat it. If I'm cutting a lemon, I add the ends, a little apple juice left in the frig, pour it in, apple cores, etc. I've been known to add to this and keep it going 2 or 3 weeks.