Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Resignation to God

Southern Seminary has a few great programs aimed specifically toward seminary wives.
Seminary Wives Institute (http://www.sbts.edu/academics/swi.php) and Pendergraph (http://www.sbts.edu/campuslife/pendergraph.php). Last night I attended Pendergraph for the first time. Pendergraph is a monthly gathering for women and every meeting is different. For example, last night there was a guest speaker, but next time, March 28th, we’re having “An Old-Fashioned Tea Party” where we will learn about how to go back to our Biblical roots of femininity and what that means for us today. I think that will be a lot of fun!

Even though last nights talk was by a woman, Mrs. Caffy Whitney (her husband is Dr. Don Whitney, a professor at Southern) and the room was filled with women, her message was relevant to all of us who have been chosen to follow Christ. She spoke on suffering and resignation to God.

Resignation to God: - quiet submission to the will of Providence
- not forced, but freely and firstly acted upon
- not partially but fully
- not passive but active
- not conditional, no deals

Resignation is giving up of ourselves and being content with whatever God chooses for our lives. This is hard for me at times. Just the other night Freddy and I were talking and I found myself saying to him “but my desire is this…” and that may not match with where ever God leads us. Does anyone else ever battle with this? So how do we resign ourselves to God?

1. Know God’s Character
- He is the King of Creation; he has every right to do with us what he wishes to do.
- Isaiah 45:5-7
2. Know that God is good
- For God’s chosen, he will not waste our sorrows.
- We may not understand everything, but God’s character is unwavering. He is
perfect, just and right.
3. Know that God is omnipotent
- He has the power to change anything.
4. Know that God is omniscient
- He knows everything.

I know I was greatly encouraged last night. And I hope this is encouraging to you as well. Maybe these words don’t hit a soft spot in your heart right now, but if you are a follower of Christ then resignation to him is a must. A few last thoughts…

- Love God and his will more than anything else (a house, children, a spouse, car, job, etc.)
- Keep your eyes on the prize of Eternity.

Susan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan,
Hey, this is Katherine. I wasn't sure whether you needed my last name or not! Anyways, hope to hear for you soon...although I know how busy everyone is these days! Take care.

Katherine

Anonymous said...

Hey Katherine... I'm working on it today. Sorry for the long delay. I'm so glad you read our blog and want to converse about it. Makes it fun! Check back later today I'll try to have a response to your question posted.

Susan