Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Smoking Stinks

I am a science teacher and right now we are studying pollution. I was shocked when I read this excerpt from our book.

Smoking is a major form of air pollution. Every year 390,000 people die from the effects of smoking. About 1 in every 6 deaths in the United States is due to smoking.

Here is the shocking part...

Why are cigarettes so harmful? Cigarettes contain 4,000 different chemicals. Some of the chemicals have never even been scientifically studied. And those that have been aren't so great either. They include acetone (nail polish remover), ammonia (toliet cleaner), arsenic (rat poision), formaldehyde (a fluid used to preserve bodies), hexamine (barbecue lighter), hydrogen cyanide (gas chamber poision), methane (swamp gas), methanol (rocket fuel), micotine (insecticide), and toluene (industrial solvent).

Interesting isn't it?

Susan

6 comments:

glenna marshall said...

I don't understand at ALL why people ever start smoking. AND...while we're on the topic, I don't get why it's allowed in restaurants--it's a HUGE imposition on the rest of the population who hates the smell of smoke. I don't want to leave a restaurant smelling like cigarette smoke! Even when you're in the no-smoking section, you can still smell someone lighting up. And then it permeates your hair and clothes. GGRRrrrrr.. Very irritating! (obviously, this is a soapbox for me!)

Anonymous said...

Louisville recently passed a law to ban smoking in restraunts. There is an exception to the rule, I think it has something to do with if there is a bar and what percentage of their business comes from the bar. In other words, if they get a good bit of money from people who hang out at the bar then there is still smoking allowed in that area. I agree though, nothing worse than smelling or smelling like smoke when you think its disgusting.

Anonymous said...

i heard that on the radio or something

-hannah

Anonymous said...

My one hang up on forbidding smoking in restaurants is that the government's role in all of it. While, I don't think my tax dollars should have to pay the medical expenses caused by those who CHOOSE to smoke and stay addicted to cigarettes, I don't think the government should have any say in what business owners will or won't allow in their own businesses. My fear is that one day they will try to ban praying in restaurants like they have tried to ban praying in schools simply because someone else finds it offensive. So . . . I am all for raising the taxes on cigarettes, so the smokers can pay for their own future medical bills. But, I think the government needs to stay out of what happens in restaurants. Lexington has such a ban and I must admit that I don't miss the smoke, I just won't be surprised when the word comes down that the ACLU is out to ban prayer in restaurants too.

Tara

Freddy T. Wyatt said...

Tara,
I understand your concern of the government's involvement and the issue of prayer however, unlike prayer, second hand smoke is a health threat to non-smokers in restaurants. I think the health risk caused by second hand smoke justifies the government's involvement on the ban.
Freddy T.

Anonymous said...

Freddy
No doubt that there are huge differences between smoking and prayer. I brought it up only to illustrate the slippery slope that exsists. I am sure that if not in our lifetime, then for sure in our kids' our taken for granted American freedoms will look drastically different.