Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Contentment

Contentment is something that all of us struggle with from time to time. Currently I am reading a series of books by Francine Rivers. (I recommend them; they are fairly short and easy reads) They each revolve around the lives of women mentioned in the lineage of Jesus Christ, Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Mary. I’m almost finished with Bathsheba, but as I read today I was once again reminded of how good God is to give us what we have and nothing more.

2 Samuel 12:7-8 speaks to this. Nathan is rebuking David,

Nathan then said to David, “You are the man! Thus says the LORD God of Israel, ‘It is I who anointed you king over Israel and it is I who delivered you from the hand of Saul. ‘I also gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your care, and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added to you many more things like these!

David had everything it seemed like. Wives, respect, honor in the city, yet he was not content. When he saw Bathsheba on her roof he wanted her too, even though she was married to another man. We too are like this. We have in our minds what would be “perfect” or ideal for us and begin making idols of these desires. The Lord gives us the desires of our hearts (husbands/wives, kids, the job we want, a home, etc) and we only want more. We are never satisfied. I can’t remember where, but not to long ago I read this about contentment, “because God is sovereign, ultimately knowing what is best for us, it would be unloving of him to have us doing (or in this case having) anything other than what he has us doing now.” That encouraged me and caused me to be thankful for what God has me doing today. As a Christian my greatest need, my need for a Savior, is satisfied in Jesus. Because I believe God to be who he says he is, then I can put my hope and trust in God and believe that everything that goes on in my life is for my good (Romans 8:28), even the aspects that don’t always seem that way. And I can be content, joyfully content doing exactly what God has me doing today.

Susan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan,
I know you know how much I like those books as well. I think you are right on with your points on contentment. The thing that gets me is that David had justified his sin in his own mind to the point that he didn't even recognize as sin anymore. I know I am guilty of the same discontment and ignorance of my own sin. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

You need to keep posting Susan!!!