Monday, February 27, 2006

Catching Up and Middle School Insight

Freddy told me last night he was going to take a break from blogging this semester due to the demands on his school work. He suggested I take over, but I'm not ready to be a true dedicated blogger, so I told him I would fill in every now and then.

The most exciting thing going on in our family right now is that last Friday we got to meet our new nephew Trevor Wade Cherry. Trevor's parents are Bubba and Kristi Cherry. He was born on the 24th of February at 7:30 a.m. He weighed 7 lbs. 6 oz and is 21 inches long. We love our sweet nephews (Wyatt 6, Patton 2, Trevor 3 days) and have fun being Uncle T. and Aunt Susan. We'll be in Clarksville again in 2 weeks and I need an updated picture with the nephews so I'll post it as soon as I do.

I got to be at the hospital waiting as Trevor was born, but he cut it close because I was scheduled to leave for Birmingham at 8 a.m. with my mom and 2 aunts to go to a Beth Moore conference. The conference was wonderful! She spoke on generations and it was really good and challenging. (I'm thinking of collecting my thoughts and posting about those later in the week).

Some of you know that I teach 8th grade. I love being around 13-14 year olds. I watch them interact all day long and often wonder how they perceive things. I'm not sure why, but today I began wondering what they thought about biblical manhood and womanhood. Here are a few of their responses:

Manhood
- Men should be the head of the household and men should provide for their families. But that does not mean that men are better than women.
- Men should put a roof over their wives head and give them the best possible life you can and love their family.
- Men should share God's word, reproduce, and take care of God's creation.
- A man should set a good example for his family.
- A man should help the woman with cleaning.
- A man is the image of God.
- A man can make a rule, a woman can make a rule only if she discusses it with the man.
- A man needs to protect the woman from danger

Womanhood
- A woman should aid the man in tasks.
- Women should raise children, be obedient to their husbands, take care of the house, and be
Godly examples of modesty.
- Women should help the men out and stay at home.
- Women should take care of the men.
- Women should reproduce and be a Godly mother.
- Women should keep order while the man is at work and to love the family.


Interesting isn't it? Some are heading in the right direction, I think they all need some tweeking. I know I still have a lot to learn. For the girls. You should check out www.girltalk.blogs.com . This is a great blog that speaks to Biblical Womanhood often.

Susan

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan,
I think Freddy had a great idea and your first two posts are proof that you are going to be great at this blogging thing.

Congrats to Bubba and Kristi. We rejoice with the whole Wyatt clan!

I understand your fascination with Middle Schoolers. Their outlook on the world is definitely unique. It would be interesting to know what their counterparts at a public school might have to say.

Thanks for turning me onto that blog site. I am a regular reader and have really valued many of the insights and truths that they discuss.

I think you're the best Susan!
Tara

Anonymous said...

So one of my favorite shows is 7th Heaven...on the show, Lucy is a reverand while Kevin stays at home and watches Savannah (their baby). How does this fit into the traditional roles of biblical manhood and womanwood with the husband being the head of the household and the wife being the one who keeps the house and raises the kids??? Doesn't that not really follow along the traditional roles?? Just wanted your take on it, and love the posts Susan!

glenna marshall said...

Did Donna go with you to near Beth Moore? I know she loves going-I was just checking.
:o)
Glenna

Anonymous said...

Hey Glenna,

Donna did go. I met my mom and her in Clarksville then we went to Brentwood to pick up Lee Ann (their other sister) and the 4 of us headed down to Birmingham

Anonymous said...

Anonymous... I'm working on your answer, but I need to know who I am responding to.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Susan, hey, this is Katherine...I know you probably don't remember me but I think we met a couple of times at AO back at MTSU...sorry I don't want to leave my last night, I just am kind of leary about it. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan, this is Katherine again...I meant to say my last name, not my last night! Sorry! Hope this is okay with you!