Tuesday, March 14, 2006

God is Sovereign

Freddy was out of town this past weekend so I had a lot of time to myself. I started working on a new quilt. I really enjoy sewing. I’m not that great at it, but I love starting with an array of fabrics that don’t appear to be anything special and turn them into a warm, cozy, blanket. Anyway, while I was sewing Saturday I listened to a CD Freddy T. has of John Piper preaching. The title of the sermon was “To Be a Mother Is a Call to Suffer.” The title caught my attention, but the sermon is really on the sovereignty of God and seeing the suffering we go through as part of God’s sovereignty, not so much suffering as a mother. You can read the transcript online (here) . He told the story of a single lady (this is not on the transcript) who went to the doctor to have a hysterectomy. She was devastated because she knew she would never be ale to have children. Her doctor’s names was Dr. Sovereign and he said he would pray for her. The thing she felt God saying to her (and this is what struck me as I listened to the sermon) was… “Would you find fault with the plan I have for your life because you think you have a better one? Or is my design for you good?” How many times do I think I know what would be best for me and question why God is not giving it to me now? As I heard this on the CD I stopped what I was doing and thought “How do I respond to that?” Yes I believe God is sovereign. Yes I believe that his design for my life good. I’ve found myself over the past day or so praying that I would truly believe this. Praying that my faith would be strong and fueled knowing that God, who knows the hairs of my head and even knows the sparrows that fall from the sky, has my life in his hands.

Yesterday on my way home from work I listened to the CD that was recorded from my wedding and was blessed by a song Glenna Marshall sang. The lyrics* are great and remind me that God is sovereign even when it does not seem that way.

Susan

*We may not be willing to endorse everything on this website, but you can check out the lyrics to the song here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan,
Hey, the link for the lyrics for the song that Glenna sang doesn't lead anywhere! Just wanted to let you know! Let me know if you get it up and going, would love to read them. Hoping to see some pictures of the cute nephews soon! Have a blessed rest of the day!

Katherine :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the link that did not work. It should now.. let me know. I said a few weeks ago I would post a picture of us with the nephews, but I have not been back to Clarksville since Trevor was born. It will still be a few weeks, but I'll get it on the blog as soon as i do!

Lori said...

Hey guys!
God's design is so much better than we could ever imagine. Would I have planned the attempted kidnapping of my children to bring me closer to Him? No way, but God knew that in his sovereign plan that he would protect my children...but that he would then have my undivided attention. Unfortunately, in my stubborness, it took that. He has me now, in ways that I never given him control. And I have Him now, in ways I have never experienced. "God is great, God is good..." is something we all have heard...but do we trust Him enough with our lives to show we truly believe it? Hey...Craig and I have started our own blogs. We don't post everyday, but we do as God speaks! Check them out!
www.thetacoassassin.blogspot.com
www.localori.blogspot.com

Love you both!
Lori