Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Small Encouragements

I read this on December 5, 2003, about a month before I moved to New Brunswick, NJ. At the time I wasn't sure if I would be living in NJ or NYC. Lots of fears, lots of unknowns, lots of excitement. I had no idea at the time that 5 years later I would still be encouraged by this.

I said: "Let me walk in the field"
God said: "Nay, walk in the town"
I said: "There are no flowers there"
He said: "No flowers, but a crown"

I said, " But the sky there is black
There is nothing but noise and din"
But he wept as He sent me back
"There is much more" he said, "There is sin."

I said, "But the air is thick,
And fogs are veiling the sun"
He answered: "Yet souls are sick,
And souls in the dark undone."

I said "I shall miss the light,
And friends will miss me they say"
He answered me, "Choose tonight,
If I am to miss you or they."

I pleaded for time to be given,
He said "is it hard to decide?
It will not seem hard in Heaven,
To have followed the steps of your Guide"

I cast one look at the field,
Then I set my face to the town.
He said, "My child do you yield?
Will you leave the flowers for the crown?"

Then into his hands went mine,
And into my heart came he.
And I walk in the light Divine,
The path I feared to see.

-George MacDonald

And this prayer from one of Elisabeth Elliott's books... I read this sometime in 2003 as well, I'm still asking God to help me and make this true in my life every day.

"Lord I give up all my own plans and purposes, all my own desires and hopes, and accept your will for my life. I give myself, my life, my all utterly to you to be yours forever. Fill me and seal me with your Holy Spirit. Use me as you will, send me where you want me to go, work out your whole will in my life at any cost, now and forever."

9 comments:

Donna said...

Susan, I have never read that before. Thank you for the encouragement and the food for thought. You set an example for the rest of us...I lift your family up in prayer daily.
Love you,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Susan, you are an inspiration to all the family. May God bless you in your daily walk with Him. I am so proud of you. Love you, Great Gran

Thompsons said...

Thank you Susan for posting this today. With my husband in the Army here at Fort Campbell, we face uncertainty and darkness all the time. Yesterday was one of those days. This has given me the light I needed today! Many blessings to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

I really needed to read this post today - of all days, it means a lot. Thank you!
Sharon Ruble

Anonymous said...

Praying for you Susan. Thank you for this entry, He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. What a great God we have!! Love to you all.
Betty

Christi said...

Beautiful! Thank you for these!

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan, make sure you show how ya'll decide to make use of the other bedroom! So glad ya'll have the extra space!

Melcy said...

Thank you Susan. What an encouragment. Thank you for sharing and being so open. <3, Melissa

Lydia Blumer said...

Wow, I'm borrowing that! Such a great encouragement :)