Sunday, August 06, 2006

19 weeks tomorrow!

She ain't pushin it out. That's natural. Now you know why I'm still hanging on for two. Wow! We are so excited. Every day is like a fresh revelation that we are pregnant. Not that I've forgotten, but awe just freshly fills my heart when I see our kid growing in Susan's belly. She has long shaken morning sickness and has been feeling great!

The thought that has rested in my mind lately is that we are stewards. The little one growing inside Susan belongs to God. We will be the primary two people contributing to this person's growth and development in all of life's most essential categories. I know right now I only see the mantle of responsibility through a glass dimly, but every day it is coming into focus. What a weight of responsibility! Nevertheless, I am eager to embrace it. Some of you more experienced folks may laugh at my eagerness. But hasn't God said that children are a heritage and reward (Psalm 127:3-5)? What is so rewarding about changing dipers only to get peed on every 4th changing, or what is so rewarding about being wakened by a hungry, wet, angry, or scared baby at all hours of the night, or what is so rewarding when there are more than one or even three and you can't find two of them. What is so rewarding about that? Certainly some seasons of parenting may seem experientially more rewarding than others. However, experience is not our authority. God's word is. God has said it clearly. Children are a reward. All ages, all hours of the night...they are a blessing. How do we reconcile this with our exausting experience as a parent. We must fight in the depths of our heart to believe God's word and in our most difficult moments of parenting, by faith consider children a blessing. You may now be laughing even harder knowing I have yet to wipe a dirty behind. All I am saying is that based on God's word, I am very optimistic that I will find meaning in the mundane, purpose in the pee in the face, and significance in the sleepless nights, for it is a privlege to be a steward of the living God parenting the people he has knit together. May God grant us all the grace to see the glory in the humble task of parenting.

We head to the doctor this Thursday! Lord willing we'll get our first look at this little blessing. We'll keep ya updated.

11 comments:

Aaron S said...

We just had our baby, and since I'm a super-nerd we're doing this:

http://go.trixietracker.com/site/johncaleb/

Jonathan Zila said...

I think you have great insight from the Word. Jen and I have often heard various comments like "once you have your first you will see that you don't want anymore", or "it is not everything its cracked up to be." We hang tight to the truth that raising children is a reward, and it must be sought after and worked for. There are several areas of the Christian life that we can make one statement based on our experience, but the biblical Truth about that area is very much different or in some cases complete opposite. Great Pictures and a great post!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! she really is growing. We just finished up "24". In fact we started the 3rd season last night. Even at the end of a "24" season it still leaves you on a cliffhanger! MAN!

Lauren said...

Congratulations, Freddy & Susan!

(This is Lauren from UTM... Susan, I don't think I've ever met you, but I knew Freddy from the BSU.) Continue to savor every minute of your first child's life... during pregnancy and beyond. Using up 3 diapers just to change one is just part of the game, just wait until the little one is able to flip over onto the tummy during the changing.

Speaking of little ones, my 9-month old just woke up and I think I hear the mattress springs bouncing through the monitor...

Congratulations, again! Becoming parents is such a huge blessing that will become more and more real to you as your baby's arrival approaches.

Mark said...

Freddy,
Our baby has just begun her fifth day. And so far... all that stuff you mentioned is rewarding. Every moment with her is an awesome gift, and we are loving every minute of it. Changing diapers is awesome - at least so far. I can't imagine not loving this stuff... God is good.

Lori said...

Susan,
You look so cute!!! I've been patiently awaiting your prego pics. I love your haircut also. My hair is super long now and I keep threating to cut it all off. Glad to hear everything's going good. Did you have much morning sickness? Did you get to relate to all the times you were around when I got sick. Freddy T, you are so right. Children are definetly a blessing. We feel so blessed to have been doubly blessed. I do have to admit that it is always good to be reminded or remind yourself about that during the tough days. Sorry this is so long.

Lori

Katie! said...

Susan, even though we have not met, you are by far the stinkin' cutest pregnant woman ever! You look great!! I am so excited for y'all and look forward to seeing how God will use you as parents!

Susan Wyatt said...

The comments are fun to read. We are so excited we can hardly stand it. We find out tomorrow if we have a little boy or a little girl, so check back and hopefully we'll have some baby pictures to post.

PS- Freddy, did you ever post anything to answer Franks questions about what coffee drinks your recommend from Starbucks???

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow!! I will be thinking about you all day. Can't wait to hear the big news. Hopefully lil' bit will cooperate!

You look great Susan!

Anonymous said...

Freddie,

Diana emailed me your blog...great to see a fellow blogger...I am not that up to date but do like to post every now and then...I love recording my kids sayings and the goings on in our world..

So happy for you and Susan...Hope to see you again one day...Stacy says hello too. We are praying for a good healthy boy and mom!

Have a great day,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Freddy T,
sorry i missed spelled your name...I knew better...please ignore my ignorance.