Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

Back in 2006 when Jack was born, I went into the hospital on Christmas Eve and came home the day after Christmas. We had a unique Christmas that year. It kind of felt like we missed it. Missed it in the sense that it was not like "normal." You know what I mean....

This is how I feel about Thanksgiving this year. I did the majority of the cooking this year for about 10-12 people, plus my children. It really was not all that bad. Katie Lyche came over Wednesday evening and prepped our turkey and made our stuffing. Katie is an aspiring chef/ personal chef and a member of The Gallery. We got her to do this last year too and we will continue to as long as she is available. I did some prepping for the rest of the meal on Wednesday then basically finished everything up Thanksgiving morning while Jack and Freddy T. were at the Macy's parade. They left around 6ish and I just stayed up and got to work. We had a nice day at the apartment. Friends started arriving around 3:30 and we were set to eat at 5:00. Jack was exhausted from being up so early, so he took an extra long nap that afternoon. We were about 10 minutes away from cutting the turkey, who Jack named Coffee Cutter (don't ask, I have no idea where that came from) and I heard Jack crying. I went to see what was wrong and Freddy T. was in the room with him. Jack had fallen out of the bed(first time ever) and was complaining about his neck/shoulder hurting. We finally got him calmed down, but he was still complaining. After calling my friend Melissa, who is a nurse, and getting her advice, we decided to take him to the ER. He wanted me to take him, so we headed out the door. My best friend Ellie flew in from Nashville that afternoon and had been at our apartment maybe 30 minutes, so she went with us. Thankfully the ER was fairly calm and we were in and out in 2 hours. Jack had x-rays and the result was a fractured collar bone, i.e. broken collar bone. So he is in a sling and can't act like a 3 year old boy for a few weeks. He is not in any pain and has handled everything very well. He'll go back to the orthopedic doctor in a week to make sure the bone is healing properly. Pray that it is. We leave for TN in a few weeks and we want more than anything for Jack to be able to play with his cousins without any major concern.

This is Jack when we got him home and in his p.j.'s. He put someones hat on and got right back to playing.
This is a few days later. He is getting to watch a lot of movies in efforts to get him to stay calm and still.
We'll we got home from the hospital and heated up leftovers from dinner. It was still good. It will be a Thanksgiving to remember for sure!


Anonymous said...

My Jack looks so precious. So sorry for his injury, wish I was there to love on him and spoil him. I love you, Jack. Great Gran

kathy said...

sweet pictures of Jack! thankful it wasn't anything worse!
Love, Mom

Bev said...

I just love those pictures of Jack. He is just the cutest little guy. I'm glad he is handling everything so well. Hope that everything heals very quickly.

Love you, Jack
Aunt Bev

rachie said...

i wish i could be there to watch movies with him! what a trooper! i wonder if scooby doo is at the top of the movie watching list still?!? :)

Christi said...

Oh, poor guy! Sorry you had such a hectic day...but isn't that what the holidays are for?!? :)

pam said...

Oh my! So sorry to hear of Jack's injury. I will say a prayer for him and your family. He looks adorable! Blessings to you

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan,

I don't know what kind of bed Jack has or if you even think this would be necessary for him, but we have a little net/gate thing that slides under our son's mattress to prevent him from falling out. If you are interested in it I can send you more info.
Kayce Susong